The City of Szeged
Szeged is the third largest city in Hungary. With around 170,000 inhabitants, it is located in the south-eastern part of the country, very close to the tripoint formed by Hungary, Romania and Serbia. The city is located on the mouth of the Mureș river in the Tisza. Szeged is known as the “sunshine city” since it has a lot of sunshine hours. The capital, Budapest, is only 170 km away and it is very easy to arrive there.
The first archaeological findings in the area of Szeged trace back to the 5000 B.C. The strategic location between both rivers made Szeged a trade centre in 1183, especially for the salt transport. The city was burned down in 1241 (during the Mongole invasions) and was rebuilt gradually until the 13th century, when it was definitely founded due to its practical geographical location.
In 1879 it was almost totally destroyed due to the floods of the region. Nowadays you can see in the street names which cities from all over the world took part in the reconstruction of Szeged. In the beginning of the 20th Century, Szeged started to be also known due to its education institutions.
Nowadays Szeged is one of the most significant cities in Hungary regarding economy and culture. However, science also plays an important role. International fairs, sport and cultural events and many young people make the city a popular student destination where they will find a long and varied history as well as a modern and up-to-date life.
There are different tourist attractions which are a must in Szeged. Historical, picturesque squares and buildings in the city centre attract tourists from all over the world to Szeged. The Széchenyi Square is especially beautiful. There you can admire the art-nouveau town council, fountains, statues and nice green areas. The square is often used during the summertime to host concerts or other art-related events.
Moreover, in Szeged there is the only Cathedral built in Hungary in the 20th century. It was built due to a vow of the citizens of Szeged which promised that if the city managed to be rebuilt after the flood catastrophe, then they would build a church.